Sensitive skin is a complicated condition and can be described as redness, dryness, rashes and more. Some of the causes of sensitivity include allergies, irritating skincare products and the sun.
What does it mean to have sensitive skin?
According to Dr. Marmur, a dermatologist, “Sensitive skin refers to a range of conditions, from genetic ailments to allergies. Applying products and having a skin reaction at some point, that’s classified as sensitive skin.
What are the symptoms of sensitive skin?
Some of the reactions include a burning sensation, rashes and redness. Sensitive skin that reacts to new products may lead you to have bumps, pink or red skin, breakouts, itchiness, and pain.
What causes sensitive skin?
According to studies, the root of causing sensitive skin is inflammation. It accelerates the breakdown of collagen and extracellular matrix, leading to redness, flakiness, and irritated skin. This condition can last for a short period of time, but often it is chronic.
What ingredients to look for and avoid when having sensitive skin?
- Fragrance/perfume products
- Anything labeled “antibacterial” (meaning it contains drying ingredients such as alcohol and triclosan)
- Drying acne products like benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid
- Essential oils, which may lead to dryness and irritation
- Chemical sunscreens (oxybenzone, octinoxate, octisalate and avobenzone)
- Overall, fewer ingredients the less likely having a reaction
What are the best natural ingredients for sensitive skin?
- Aloe Vera helps calm, heal, protect and moisturize
- Oat Aventhramides calm and soothe irritated skin
- Cupuacu Butter is an anti-inflammatory that calms skin irritation
- Copaiba Balsam oil is an anti-inflammatory that soothes redness and inflammation
- Calendula extract helps protect irritated or inflamed skin
- Chamomile extract has anti-inflammatory and calming properties
- Marshmallow extract provides rich repairing, nourishing and soothing properties
- Shea butter is a natural moisturizer for all ages and all skin types
- Squalane natural moisturizing agent that is found occurring naturally in human skin and helps to lubricate and protect the dermis
- Natural plant oils without any additives like jojoba, grapeseed and apricot kernel oil
- Hyaluronic acid draws moisture to your skin
- Ceramides will replenish your lipid barrier
Additional tips for sensitive skin
- Don’t rub or tug the skin, gently blot and tap to dry
- Stay away from harsh manual exfoliants
- Do not wash too often
- Look for products that specifically say "for sensitive skin"
Find soothing and calming ingredients in CLARISMA, like Oat Aventhramides, Jojoba, Copaiba Balsam, and Cupuacu Butter